The Student News Site of Belvidere High School

New Schedule attracts different opinions from students

Sam Arco, Co-Editor

The 2017 school year brings many changes to Belvidere High School, but the new schedule at BHS is what’s making the most headlines. The district board decided last spring to start school at 8:15 a.m. this year, and to end school six minutes later than usual, at 3:01 p.m.

Many students like the new start time this year, which is 20 minutes later than last year’s.

“I like this year’s new schedule because it allows me to sleep in more, and gives me more time to get ready before school and arrive on time,” said senior Justin Brown.

However, with the arrival of the new schedule, many upperclassmen are having a hard time getting used to the new times their class periods start and end.

“It’s going to take some time getting used to the new schedule; it will probably take me a few months to adjust to the different times throughout the day,” said senior Cole Lass.

I personally am having trouble following along with all the different schedules we have this year. We have a regular schedule, a buc club schedule, and a late start schedule this year, which can be very confusing at times mixing up all of the schedules together.

Along with the new schedule, the district decided to introduce late start days instead of early release days  this year, where students once a month will start the day at 8:50 a.m, 35 minutes later than usual.

Some students weren’t happy about the removal of the early release from last year.

“I wish they wouldn’t have gotten rid of the early release; I liked getting out an hour earlier than usual,” said senior Lucas Haug.

For us athletes, we prefer the late start over the early release so that we wouldn’t have to go home for an hour just to come back to the school for practice. It really helps just being able to go to practice right after school on late start days.

However on a students perspective, I enjoyed early release a lot more than late start because the classes felt short and it made the day go by really fast getting out an hour earlier.

Also with the late start this year its only 35 minutes later where as last year we had a full hour taken away so it doesn’t feel like we’re getting the full effect this year like we did last year with the early release schedule.

1 Comment

One Response to “New Schedule attracts different opinions from students”

1. Jasmine Boswell on October 8th, 2017 10:29 am

I don’t agree with the new schedule either. Its not a full hour like the rest of the district gets. Also on the first late start day many people were late. Late start instead of early dismissal leads to many parents/guardians having to find different modes of transportation for their kids, and baby sitters for younger siblings after their school hours. Late start is unreasonable and unnecessary.

[Reply]