BHS prepares for prom

An illustration of the venue, Khlem Arboretum.

Kaleigh Inniss, Staff Writer

BHS is hosting its annual prom on Saturday, May 7 at Klehm Arboretum. This will be the school’s first official school dance back from COVID-19 since homecoming of 2019.

The dance will start at 5:30pm and end at 11pm. Dinner will be served at 6:30 and will be catered by Franchesco’s, the original location of the dance.

The Klehm Arboretum’s garden-like venue correlates with the “Enchanted” theme that students voted on in April. Colors like green, pink, and cream are going to highlight the theme.

Prom court will be presented at 8.  On this year’s court there are juniors Shaylee Dahl and Kellie Onley and seniors Grace Reza, Kiya Buffington, Athena Kindgren, Michael Loeding, Jadeyn Ward, Christopher Boose, Kayla Perez, and Francisco DeLaTorre.

“I expect that it will be a safe and fun event for our students,” Principal Billy Lewis said. “The venue at Klehm Arboretum is amazing, so I think the night is really going to be special.”

In order to maintain that safe and healthy environment, random students will be selected to submit to a breathalyzer before being granted entry to the event. Another safety measure in place is an outside section of the venue in order to decrease the congestion of students in one closed space.

“I’m happy that we are able to do prom as a school to have one last dance with our class,” Amanda White, a member of the prom committee, said. 

After the prom activities have concluded, the night isn’t over quite yet. Many students have planned after-parties and next day events. Six Flags is a popular and age-old tradition for the day after prom, however, there are a lot more activities that you can participate in.

For a more low-key end to the night, students can have a bonfire or karaoke night. Next day activities include things like laser tag, bowling, mini-golf, or Volcano Falls.

Whatever the plans are for and after prom, it’s important for students to remember to be safe and have fun.