The Student News Site of Belvidere High School

Boys Soccer

J.R. Taylor, Writer

The Boys Soccer team in it’s first game on August 21, they lost 1-0 against Hampshire. The second half of the game against Hampshire got stopped due to lightning.  On August 25, they Beat Fox Grant Lake 3-1 and Auburn 7-0. On August 26, they tied against Rockford Christian 1-1. The Boys soccer team got to the semifinals in the Auburn Knights tournament and lost to Jefferson 3-1. Goals scored in that tournament were by junior Tapia, junior Nava, and senior Pizano.

The team had a game against Rochelle on August 28, and unfortunately lost 4-0. Their first Conference game was on August 29,  against  East and they won 2-1 in 2OT.  The goals that games were scored by junior Jonathan Nava from a free kick from 30 yards out. Junior Jason Tapia scored the game winning goal in second overtime by beating two East defenders and chipping the ball over the goalie with three seconds left.

Tapia said , ” it’s great knowing i helped my team with this win and it motivates me to keep doing better throughout the season and hopefully ending with another Regional championship.”

Nava said ,” it feels good to give us some confidence boost for the rest of the season. I feel like it will be a big difference since last year but, working together and giving it all we got will do us good this season.

Coach Ivacic has deiced to step down from the head coaching stop for personal reasons. Now Mr. Simon Stevens will take over the team for the rest of the season.