Pierson, Lady Bucs start season 2-3

Entrance to the Melvin L. Brown Gymnasium. Photo taken by Jack Larson

Maison Mulcahy, Staff Writer

The Belvidere Lady Bucs basketball team appears to have a star in the making in freshman guard Emma Pierson, who recorded a triple-double in just her second game. With her help, BHS has started off its season with a record of 2-3.

Although the Bucs lost their first game to Genoa-Kingston 45-25 on Nov. 15, they bounced back to defeat North Boone two days later 32-23. Pierson recorded her triple-double in that game with 18 points, 12 steals, and 10 rebounds.

“Emma has been a positive addition to the program,” BHS coach Michael Bradford said. “It is challenging to even record a triple-double, but to do it in your second game as a varsity player is even that much more impressive. Even though she accomplished this feat, she remains humble and is a true ‘team’ player.”

The Bucs also finished second in the recent Wauconda Thanksgiving tournament. In their first game of the tournament, they defeated Richmond-Burton 37-32. They followed that with a 33-18 loss to Wauconda. Pierson was selected to the all-tournament team, which recognized her as one of the top five performers in the tournament.

“When I got the triple-double, I didn’t even realize it until later that night,” she said. “It felt really awesome, especially to get a triple-double as a freshman playing varsity. It also felt pretty amazing when I got selected to the all-tournament team, I couldn’t have done this without my teammates.”

Although Pierson scored 14 points, the Lady Bucs then fell to the Harlem Huskies 57-16 on Nov. 30.

“Harlem was taller than we were at every position, and this led to them outrebounding us,” Bradford said. “We also struggled early with the press that generated some turnovers that gave them extra opportunities to score.”

“This is a great learning opportunity, and now we must concentrate on being better rebounders and taking care of the basketball.”

As a first-year player, Pierson credits her teammates with making her feel comfortable.

“I was pretty nervous playing varsity at first, but now I feel a lot more comfortable,” she said.  “The girls have welcomed me onto the team. They are just a great group of girls to play with.”

While the Bucs still look toward the vast majority of their season, the team appears to be satisfied with what they’ve been able to accomplish thus far.

“We are way ahead of where we were last year, and this is due to the hard work many players put in during the off-season,” Bradford said. “Like any team a month into the season, we have plenty to work on but the things we are struggling with currently are things we can fix as the season progresses.”

Looking forward to the rest of the season, Bradford said he is hoping the Lady Bucs can make the playoffs this year.

“Looking ahead, I am eager to see how we will do in conference play,” he said. “Personally, I feel that there are several teams that definitely stand above the rest, but we should be in the mix with most of the other teams in the conference.”

The Bucs have back-to-back home games coming up. Their first matchup will be against the Guilford Vikings on Dec. 3, following by a contest with the Freeport Pretzels on Dec. 4.