Dress code gets updated at BHS

Jesse Moyer, Staff Writer

Belvidere High School updated the school’s dress code this year after it stayed the same for the past two years.

This is what the current dress code says in the BHS Handbook:

“Hats (including bandanas) and sunglasses will not be worn or visible between 7:50 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. Clothing/shoes cannot be inappropriate, revealing, or at a length that draws unnecessary attention.”

Since this was made in 2020, BHS and the district added hoods being allowed since administrators now intepret them to be a part of your clothing.

“Hoods are considered part of a clothing item, whereas a hat is an accessory, and under the District 100 and BHS handbooks is not allowed,” said Assistant Principal Brian Swanson.

In 1999, the District 100 school board approved a dress code policy that read: 

“A student’s appearance, including dress and grooming, must not disrupt the educational process, interfere with the maintenance of a positive teaching/learning climate, or compromise reasonable standards of health, safety, and decency.  Procedures for handling students who dress or groom inappropriately will be developed by the Building Principal and included in the Student Handbook(s).”

“I think you should wear what makes you happy,” said German teacher Mallorie Leary.

Additionally to the hoods now being allowed, masks have been added since the start of COVID-19. During lunch, the mask can come down, but once you’re done eating you must put it mask back on.