Belvidere Lady Bucs basketball season preview

Photograph by Visual Image Productions

Maison Mulcahy, Staff Writer

The Belvidere Lady Bucs basketball is back, Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted for the most part, and everyone is excited to see what happens this year. The Bucs finished its season last year with a record of 1-13, their lone win came against the Jefferson J-Hawks.

“As I look ahead to this year, I am most excited about many of the COVID limitations being lifted,” head coach Michael Bradford said. “Lifting these limitations will allow us to do things in a much more ‘normal’ manner. Since we are able to do things ‘normally,’ I am eager to see the impact it has on our culture.”

The girls will have a somewhat normal year as most of the COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted. One of the things that will be back is the ability to have fans, and most importantly, the student section.

“It would be great to see a large fan base this year because our students bring so much energy to the gym,” Bradford said.

The Bucs lost some players from last year, as some had graduated and one of their starters transferred. Now, their numbers are up and they have worked hard over the offseason.

“I think this season we are doing some really great things,” senior guard Kiya Buffington said. “I think that the team is putting in much more time and effort than before. I am so excited about our games and seeing how the season turns out.”

The Lady Bucs are to host their first game on Nov. 15 against the Genoa-Kingston Cogs. Following that up on the 17th, they will host the North Boone Vikings.

Returning starters include Myle Rigsby-Ransom and Kellie Onley.