Nina Fiore Qualifies For State

Nina+Fiore+and+team+running+strides+before+race+at+the+Black+Sail+Invitational.+

Dean Coryell

Nina Fiore and team running strides before race at the Black Sail Invitational.

Brynn Kirkland, Staff Writer

Girls’ Cross Country runner, sophomore Nina Fiore ran with a time of 19:45 at this year’s state meet held at Detweiller Park in Peoria on Nov. 6. 

Fiore individually qualified for the State meet after finishing 24th at the IHSA Sectionals with a time of 19:48.

“I’m exceedingly proud of Nina and all of the hard work that she’s put in to get to this place,” head coach John Deery said. “Her faith in our training, along with her talent, has gotten her to this level of competition. She’s a dangerous runner, and people are going to start recognizing that.”

The sectional race was held at Emricson Park in Woodstock. The course consisted of multiple steep hills, which pushed the runners and revealed their mental toughness and physical endurance. Fiore’s time of 19:48 was her best time of the season before state. 

“I’m so proud of myself,” Fiore said. “I feel like I’ve accomplished a lot this season coming back from injuries, and improving my times when they weren’t where I wanted them to be. All in all, I’m very grateful and I think that I can end the season strong at State.” 

Fiore has run varsity both years of her high school career for Belvidere cross country. Last year she finished first for the team in every meet, and this year, she and Kaleigh Inniss have been the top finishers for the team. 

Along with qualifying for state this year, Fiore has qualified for state multiple times in the past while running for Belvidere South Middle School. 

Fiore has been running cross country since the age of five and has run for the Belvidere school district and also the Belvidere Tornados. 

Last year due to COVID, the IHSA announced that there would not be a state meet, but this year they were able to bring back the regular meet schedule.