Boys cross country, soccer start off seasons

VIP Photography

Boys’ cross country team after race

Kaleigh Inniss, Staff Writer

The Belvidere High School boys’ cross country team placed fifth out of eight teams in a meet on Sept. 4th at Harlem.

Sophomore Davian Islas placed 28th, finishing first for the team. He said the most important part of competing is determination.

“Pushing through the pain and giving 100% no matter what,” Islas said.

Junior co-captain Jacob Koziol finished third for the team. He said that his goals for the team include placing in the top 5 in the NIC-10, but most importantly honoring the Bucs’ late head coach, Rob Salley.

“With the help and encouragement of our new head coach, Tyler Ebany, we believe that being in the top 5 this season is very possible,” Koziol said. We look forward to giving it our all for our fans and in memory of Salley.”

BOYS’ SOCCER

The Bucs’ soccer team had three games recently, all of which it won. The team followed a 7-0 victory over North on Sept. 14th with a 3-2 win over  East on Sept. 16th. The Bucs finished up by topping Rochelle 7-1 on Sept. 18th. The boys are currently ranked third in the conference.

“I personally think that we can make it pretty far with the team we have,” said senior Ray Pereznegron. “We have started out amazing. As long as we keep playing like we are and sticking (together) as a team, we can honestly go into regionals quite comfortably.”