New boys’ cross country coach takes over at BHS

Brynn Kirkland

New Boys’ Cross Country Coach Tyler Ebany

Brynn Kirkland, Staff Writer

Due to the tragic death of former boys cross country coach, Rob Salley, BHS welcomes new head coach Tyler Ebany, to the boys cross country team this fall. 

Before coming to Belvidere, Ebany was an assistant coach at Hononegah for four years. Then he coached the Belvidere South track and field team for three years. His passion for running started at Hononegah High School where he ran cross country. 

“It’s a privilege to be able to have a team to be able to call my own,” Ebany said. “I’m grateful to have the opportunity to coach a great group of guys.” 

Runner Xander Albano expresses his appreciation for the devotion that Ebany has for the team.

“I think Tyler’s coaching has been much tougher and more intense than previous years,” he said. “His work ethic and drive to make Belvidere contenders in cross country is amazing.”

With the passing of Coach Salley, Ebany said that taking on the position as his replacement was not without some apprehension.  

“Coming into my first year as a head coach after the previous coach had passed was nerve-racking,” he said. “No one can replace Salley and the things he’s done for the team. There’s still a ton of work and improvement that still needs to be done.” 

Although Ebany may seem nervous about his new position, the overall consensus on his coaching is greatly positive. 

“He’s doing fantastic,” said girls’ cross country coach, John Deery. “The boys are thriving under him, and he’s been a welcome addition to the bucs cross country family.”