Girls Track tops Freeport

Girls Track tops Freeport

Conner Paulson, Staff Writer

The Girls Track team swept Freeport, except for the Shot Put, to win 70-27 for their first meet of the year.

The girls won the 4×800, with a time of 11:25.7 and the 4×100, with a time of 55.21. Freshman Nina Fiore took first in the 3200m race with a time of 13:33.0.  Sophomore Zoey Proper ran her personal best, as she took first place in the 100m dash with a time of 13:32. Junior Mylze Medrano also took first in her 800m race with a time of 3:09.1.

Senior Autumn Przybyla tied her personal best to take the win in the 400m dash with a time of 1:10.4. Junior Kaleigh Innins won the 1600m dash with a time of 6:09.5. Junior Yaritza Carillo also won first place for the 200m dash with the time of 31.2.

The girls swept all the running events, and almost all the field events except for shot put. Junior Mikaila Rodgers won the long jump with a distance of 4.27 meters. Sophomore Tikaya Jones won the high jump with a height of 4 feet. Junior Grace Reza also took first in the discus throw, with a distance of 22.09 meters.

Coach Stewart said, “My expectations for the season are to get better, and compete in every meet. The Freeport meet went really well. In all the events we competed in, we placed either first or second. I’m excited for the rest of the season, and looking forward to watching the girls compete and get better.”

The Boys Track team also had a meet at Freeport. The boys lost the meet with a score 59-54.

Sophomore Ryan Beaudet took first in the 400m dash with a time of 60 seconds. Beaudet also took first in the high jump event with a height of 5.25 feet. Senior Jonathan Fettes took first in his long jump event with a distance of 17 feet 9 inches.

Freshman Nick Taylor won his pole vaulting event with a height of 8 feet. In the discus event senior Cesar Segura won with a distance of 127 feet. Senior Alex Paulson threw a personal best of 40 feet to win the shot put event.

“It felt amazing, already starting out the season with a great throw. I can’t wait for what is to come next for the track and field team,” said Alex Paulson.

The Boys and Girls track teams take on Harlem, East, and Jefferson at Harlem Highschool on May 1.