Softball tops Auburn and Harvard

Autumn Przybyla, Print Editor-in-Chief

The Lady Bucs Softball team played at Hononegah on April 28, but dropped a loss, 11-3.

Sophomore McKyler Morris went 2-4 with a homerun, while junior McKenna Morris went 3-4, with a homerun as well.

The girls also faced Auburn at home on April 26 and won, 12-4. McKenna Morris pitched her way to the win with six strikeouts and two walks. McKyler Morris went 2-4 at the plate with a double and a triple, as well as bringing home three Bucs. Sophomore Kellie Onley also went 2-4 with a double in the contest.

Head Coach Ms. Danielle Johnson said, “I am very pleased how we came out strong and picked up our first conference win on Monday. This team has a lot of potential and will do great things this season. I am looking forward to seeing how we perform and continue to give our opponents a good game.”

The team topped Harvard on April 24, with a score of 19-4. McKenna Morris led the team again, with nine strikeouts and one walk. She also went 2-3 at the plate with a double and a homerun, which brought five Bucs home. McKyler Morris went 2-4 with one homerun, bringing home four Bucs. Junior Kennedy Coryell went 2-3 at the plate, one of which was a homerun. Onley had one homerun and brought home five Bucs.

The team will have their next game tonight, against Freeport, starting at 5 p.m.

The Baseball team came up short to Boylan, at home, on April 28, 7-5. Sophomore Carter Guerra led the offense, as he went 2-3.

Assistant Coach Mr. Jerry Gentz said, “Again pitching was our strong suit.  We started off giving up seven runs in the first two innings, but our pitchers settled in and Boylan put up goose eggs over the next five innings.”

The boys also played Boylan on April 26 for the two-game series and lost, 4-3. Senior Conner Paulson and sophomore Johnny Carter pitched for the Bucs, allowing five hits, nine strikeouts and two walks. Senior Gavin Gleason led the offense, 2-4, driving in all three runs.

Gleason said, “We had really good pitching, walking only two people. We also had pretty good batting, but left a decent amount of people on base. We lost because one inning we had four errors, which allowed Boylan to score three runs. So if we didn’t have that bad inning, I believe we would have easily won that game.”

The Bucs will face Belvidere North tonight, starting at 4:30 p.m.