Summer sports to start competitions

Autumn Przybyla, Print Editor-in-Chief

After not getting a season last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Track and Field, Boys Volleyball, Softball/Baseball, Bass Fishing, and Tennis are finally able to get back into action.

The Boys and Girls Track and Field team will have their first meet on April 28, at Freeport. In past years, the girls and boys program was completely separate and had their own practices/ meets. However, this year, Boys Head Coach Mr. Aaron Essex and Girls Head Coach Mr. Hugh Stewart have teamed up to combine both groups, in order to create stronger team bonds and effectively share coaches.

Mr. Essex said, “I want to build a family-like environment with both the girls and boys track programs. I think combining builds a strong support group amongst the program. It’s fun, competitive, and you see both programs coaching each other up; it is exciting to see. I hope to continue to build a positive and fun program. We want to make this a sports team that everyone wants to be a part of.”

The Boys Volleyball team will debut their season on April 27 at Hononegah. Head Coach Mrs. Storm Britt began her first year as Head Coach for the Girls and will be returning for the Boys’ season.

The Lady Bucs Softball team will begin their season on April 24 at Harvard. The team will be set with a few returning key players, such as senior Kyla White (IF, C), senior Paige Kitsemble (IF, C), junior McKenna Morris (C, IF, P), and junior Kennedy Coryell (IF, C).

Head Coach Mrs. Danielle Johnson said, “We are looking to bounce back and start where we left off from last season. It was unfortunate to miss out on our season, but we are putting the pieces back together. This year’s team is very versatile and will find themselves playing multiple positions. We have a good core group of returners that have been working hard and they are looking forward to getting back in action. This will be a fun team to watch as they bring enthusiasm, talent, and teamwork to the field every day.”

Bass Fishing Head Coach Mr. Koehne brought the sport to BHS this year, and the team is set to have their first competition on May 1 at Shabbona Lake, against Batavia. Boys tennis is supposed to have their first meet on May 6 against Rockford East. However, two years ago, the team only had about seven players, five of which were seniors, so it has not been vocalized on whether or not they will have enough athletes.

Coach Koehne said, “Right now we have been concentrating on learning Pierce Lake a little better, because that is where our sectional will be. The boys have set the goal of finishing in the Top 3 of the Sectionals and advancing to the State Tournament. Last year I heard some students talking about Bass Fishing and wondering why we didn’t have a team.  After talking to them, I went to Mr. Sternquist and it took off from there.  He really did all the work to get it started.  I am just lucky enough to coach it.”