Bucs football team loses in OT

Maison Mulcahy, Staff Writer

The Bucs football team lost a heartbreaking 20-14 overtime loss to Guilford March 19 to open up the 2021 suspended NIC-10 football season.

Tied at 14 in regulation, the Bucs took first possession in the overtime from the 10-yard line, but were unable to reach the end zone on four tries, stopped at the one yard line by the Vikings. Guilford took over on its possession of overtime play, scoring on fourth down and one. Jordan Woods scored from the one to give the Vikings the win.

“We played hard, but made too many mistakes,” said Varsity Coach Jim Morrow. “We lost the turnover ratio 3:1. That will prevent you from winning every time.”
The Bucs punted on its first possession of the game. Guilford scored on its opening drive, capped off its running game with multiple ball carriers, ending in a one-yard run, after a 65-yard drive for a 6-0 lead. Guilford missed the extra point attempt.

The Bucs defense came out strong in the second quarter, stopping the Vikings on the 23-yard line. BHS came back later in the quarter, scoring on a one-yard run from senior Jonathan Urbieta with 2:33 left before the half to tie the game at 6. Kick was good by junior Kayden Finnestad to give the Bucs a 7-6 lead.

BHS took the lead at the half with a score on a one-yard run from sophomore Quarterback Joey Alvarez. Finnestad added the extra point. This score was set up by a fumble at midfield, recovered by senior Dylan Schohn. Bucs up 14-6 at halftime.

Junior Juston Dennis said, “It feels so good to accomplish so much in my first game, hopefully we can win the next one. I’m enjoying being a Buc so far because my teammates and coaches have made it super easy to fit in and play with them, I like that my coaches have included me in everything. I’m looking forward to seeing how well we can play this season.”

Bucs’ defense stopped Guilford right out of the gate and forced them to punt the ball away. Unfortunately, the Vikings defence came ready as well, forcing BHS to punt. Guilford managed to score before the quarter ended on a 12-yard run into the endzone by Vikings’ Jordan Woods.

The Buc running game of Alvarez, junior Chris Boose and junior Michael Loeding combined on the ground starting from their own 47-yard line down to the one, where it resulted in a fumble that was recovered by Guilford. Senior Josh Pizano suffered a season-ending injury with two minutes left to play.
With the game all tied at 14 in overtime, the Bucs failed to score in their first attempt at the goal, giving Guilford the ball. They ran the ball in on fourth down from a yard out to give them the win in OT, 20-14.

Bucs leading rushers were Dennis with 80 yards, Alvarez with 53, and Urbieta with 32 yards.

Schohn said, “We couldn’t hold on to the football. We turned it over too many times in crucial situations in the game. Recovering the fumble was a great feel, but it would have felt better to hold onto the ball on offense.”

“Defensively we did not allow big plays,” Morrow added. “This was a lost opportunity. We can not let another winnable game go by the wayside.”

The Bucs, 0-1, will host Rockford East Friday. Game time is 6:30 p.m. at Funderburg Stadium.
The fresh-soph team got its season off to a good start with a 14-0 win over Guilford March 22.