Golonka breaks record, team stands in second in NIC-10

Jack Larson, Staff Writer

The boys swimming and diving team had a good week, and beat Harlem 119-88 and lost to Hononegah 107-100 on Feb. 23, and took one more win on Feb. 25 at Byron, with a final score of 90-89.

The team has been a school highlight this year, and currently places at second in the NIC-10 Conference, and their results can be attributed to their hard work, and leadership, Coach Allison Smith said.

“This season has exceeded my expectations,” Smith said. “We have had many obstacles such as the two month pause from November to January, our season being a month shorter than normal, and the pool heater being broken at the YMCA so we had to have late night practices at Jefferson everyday.”

While the team has had obstacles to overcome, they only serve as fuel to the fire, as they’ve been having one of their best seasons in years, and senior Daniel Golonka broke the school record for 100 freestyle. It was his sixth record for BHS.

Sophomore Declan Dwyer, one of the school’s better divers, placed first in diving at Byron on Feb. 25.

Dwyer said, “the team has made it super far, and that they’ve reached their goals by working harder, and training harder.”

“Everyone continues to improve, and perform really well,” said coach Smith. “We are so happy we have been able to have a season even during a pandemic!”