BHS heads back to in person for the first time since March 13

Dylan Schohn, Online Editor

BHS has started letting students return to in person classes for the first time since the COVID-19 outbreak shut down schools across the country.

BHS is allowing students to take up to three classes a quarter. This allows classes to have more time to fit as much criteria as possible into a shortened semester.

BHS principal Mr. Billy Lewis said, “I am excited to have students back in the building because it is an important sign of progress in a year that has felt like so much has been taken away from us. Even though the school day has looked different for those students attending classes in-person, things like bells, buses, and the cafeteria are positive reminders of what we are starting to get back.

“There is a great level of appreciation from both staff and students that all of this is happening. I am proud of everyone for their hard work in this new setting. Things will only continue to get better.”

The way BHS is structuring the back the school plan is that students with their last names starting A-K can attend school Mondays and Thursdays, while students with their last names starting with L-Z can attend school on Tuesdays and Fridays. Wednesdays will be open as a work day or extra help day for students. Teachers participated in PLC activities with staff and department meetings and are available to students for conferences from 1-3 p.m.

Senior Paige Kitsemble, who is attending in-person classes, said, “I am happy to back in person classes because online classes were getting hard to focus in class.”

Students can choose to stay home and continue with distance learning. The students who are doing in-person will still attend classes online the days that they are not in person.

Senior Gavin Gleason said, “It’s nice to be able to go back to school and get part of my senior year back.”

All district 100 teachers were able to sign up this past week for their first round of vaccinations.
Second round of vaccinations will be the first week in March.