BHS students, staff remain unsure about getting vaccines

Submitted photo

BHS Nurse Renee Villalobos receives her COVID-19 vaccine Dec. 31. Most BHS staff will have the option to get the vaccine during second semester.

Monique Aguilar, Intro Staff Writer

In 2019, the COVID pandemic started and now in 2021 a vaccine has been approved and made available to the public, but BHS students and staff are unsure about getting it.

Some places are doing free vaccine shots for COVID. The vaccine is supposed to help people not get COVID-19 and help people from not getting sick. Many students are not sure about taking the vaccine because of side effects and it’s experimental phase.

“No, because we don’t know how long that vaccine will last and we don’t know what it does and it’s kind of like an experiment and they found it in under a year, so I don’t trust it because there is a lot of information missing, said senior Aldahir Murga.

Since someone already had COVID-19 after taking the vaccine the person is still at risk for getting COVID-19. There are also pros to getting vaccinated to help protect people around you, particularly people at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

“No, I don’t feel unsure at all. My husband got his first shot last week and he’ll be getting the second dose in a few weeks. Whenever it’s available for me to have, I’ll be getting it for me and my daughter. There’s risks with everything in life, for me and my family, I think the vaccine is the less risky choice,” said BHS teacher Mrs. Bridget Przybylski said.

According to the CDC, It typically takes a few weeks for the body to build immunity after vaccination. That means it’s possible a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and get sick. This is because the vaccine has not had enough time to provide protection from COVID-19.