IHSA, IDPH, Governor pause winter sports

Buccaneer staff writers

Athletes from winter sports may have to wait just a little longer to get their seasons off the ground.

Boys and girls bowling, boys swimming, dance and cheer began official practices on Monday, Nov. 16, only to have the state of Illinois force schools to “pause” their season at this time.

Below is a statement posted to BHS parents from Athletic Director Josh Sternquist on Nov. 17:

Based on the release last night from the IHSA, the Belvidere Bucs will take a temporary break from in-person activities until we receive direction from the IHSA to return. We had postponed basketball already and have decided to continue that postponement through the rest of the week. All other Winter Sports will continue at the discretion of their head coaches this week and “pause” at the time directed by the IHSA. We have a short week the following week, with the Thanksgiving Holiday, and hope to have some information and clarity from the IHSA and State of Illinois after. Our coaches have been in contact with our students and families since late last night. Keep the faith as we will be back!

BHS has hosted over twenty-five events on-campus this fall and welcomed hundreds of students, some from competing schools, to our campus. BHS is prepared, and continues to provide a safe and healthy environment for all our activities that are in-person. Thank you to District 100 for your guidance and support as we continue to strengthen and grow our students by providing activities that make them happy and they love to perform.

Also, team and individual photos set for Monday, Nov. 23 has also been postponed to a later date. Information will be sent out by the athletic office in the future.