Belvidere Co-op Swim & Dive finished with a bang

Sutton Gaines, Staff Writer

Belvidere Co-op attended the Sectional meet on Oct. 24 at Byron High School, competing against all the IHSA schools. The girls came in eighth, with four swimmers Ava Armstrong, Delaney Crawford, Sutton Gaines, and Lillie Zenaty, and divers Bree Messenger and Rayne Kerchner.
The race highlights included Delaney Crawford in the 500 freestyle, placing ninth, Sutton Gaines in the 200 freestyle dropping 3.09 seconds, Ava Armstrong swimming the 100 Butterfly, and Lillie Zenaty in the 100 freestyle placing 17th.
Head Swim Coach, Traci Torbert said, “Sectionals turned out to be different than what I originally planned. However, the four swimmers and two divers that competed did a fantastic job! We had a lot of great swims and everyone kept a really positive attitude!”
Torbert added, “overall we finished tied for fifth in the conference and still finished in 8th out of the 12 teams at Sectionals with a very small, but determined team. I’m proud of how well everyone handled this season! ”
In other meets, the team swam at Jefferson High School on Oct. 13, against Boylan High School. Belvidere won 103 to 84, with valuable swimmers, Sonya McClain and Delaney Crawford.
Sonya scored 22 points and swam 200 freestyle, 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, and the 100 breaststroke. McClain placed very well and scored the most points for the team.
She said, “I am really grateful for the opportunity to swim and to swim with some of the seniors, as we are nearing the end of the season.”
Crawford also was a top point winner with 17 points, and also 4 events. She excelled in the 500 free and got first place.
She said, “It feels great to beat Boylan but we still have our work cut out for us before sectionals. Even with Covid, our team has really bonded and made memories we would never forget.”
There were also some important honorable mentions, Emerson Gaines with 14 points, Maddie McClain with 11, and Sutton Gaines with 11 as well. Emerson and Sutton attend BHS, Sonya, Maddie, and Delaney all attend Belvidere North.
Race Highlights include 500 freestyle with Belvidere coming in first, second, and third. The first place finish was Crawford, second Sutton Gaines, and third Reese Fitzgerald. Delaney and Sutton gained time but Reese dropped. Another highlight was in the 100 Breastroke, first Sonya McClain, and 2nd Sutton Gaines.
Torbert said, “The meet against Boylan went very well. The team is in great swimming shape and our depth of swimming and diving helped the team work together to contribute to the win.”
Also, the divers did a great job, Bree Messenger and Dylan Freund. Bree said, “It was a little rough, but a fun meet!! The other divers were super nice!!” Bree ended up with a final of 145.70, placing first at the meet. Dylan quotes, “This season has been rough with the COVID-19 restrictions but it was still a fun season, and I can’t wait to come back next year.”