Girls XC earns a perfect score

DEAN_CORYELL

Autumn Przybyla, Print Editor in Chief

The girls cross country team scored a perfect race in their triangular meet against Auburn and Jefferson on Sept. 14, with freshman Nina Fiore winning the race with a time of 21:46.

The other top spots were filled by senior Journie Manzella, sophomore Ella Scimeca, junior Brynn Kirkland, and senior Elly Heimer. The team also placed third against Boylan and Guilford on Sept. 5, with Fiore placing fourth overall. The girls host Hononegah and Auburn on Sept. 28.

Heimer said, “We keep getting better every week and some girls that didn’t run last year are really showing up, and overall we look really good.”

Senior Sebastian Zuniga led the boys cross country team to second place by finishing sixth overall on Sept. 14 against Auburn and Jefferson. Senior Owin Hunter placed in ninth, freshman Davian Islas in 10th, and sophomore Xander Albano in 11th.

The boys also finished third at their home meet on Sept. 5, with Zuniga leading the Bucs at a time of 18:05 in 10th place overall. Junior Dominic Moran, 17th overall, and sophomore Jacob Koziol, 21st overall, closely followed. The team hosts Hononegah and Auburn on Sept. 28.

The girls Coop golf team fell to Rockford Co-Op, 202-177, with senior Coe Walberg leading the team with a score of 48. The team also lost to Harlem, 200-181, on Sept. 3 where Walberg shot a 39. The team beat Hononegah, 187-205, with Walberg leading again after scoring a 43. They also beat Boylan with the teams personal record of 177.

Walberg said, “Though this season has been a lot different from previous seasons, it hasn’t stopped our team from learning and progressing. Our team is very competitive this year and I’m lucky to be apart of this team for my senior season.”

The boys golf squad fell to Boylan on Sept. 16, 194-161. Freshman David Bertolasi led with a score of 44, while junior Jack Larson closely followed with a 46. The boys also came up a little bit short to Auburn on Sept. 14, 182-174, which was led by sophomore Matt Borah with a score of 44. Larson also scored a 45 with junior Aiden Krup right behind him at a score of 46.

The boys also fell to Harlem, 188-168, on Sept. 2, with Bertolasi leading the Bucs with a score of 44. The team took a victory over Freeport on Aug. 26, 175-203, with Bertolasi becoming a meet medalist after finishing with a score of 40.

The girls swimming and diving team won against Jefferson, 158-41, with sophomore Sutton Gaines winning both the 100 and 200 IM. Senior Emerson Gaines also placed first in the 50 breaststroke and junior Yaritza Carillo finished first in the 50 butterfly.

S. Gaines said, “This season, we have been really competitive as a team and really working hard. It is definitely an adjustment with COVID going around, especially during a swim meet. It’s interesting how we have bonded as a team through this, even though we aren’t allowed to be as close. We have gotten a lot of new swimmers, especially freshmen, so we have grown a lot as a team. We really are looking forward to the end of the season so we can see how much we have improved over this swim year.”

The girls tennis team fell to North, 5-0, on Sept. 15. The team also came up a little bit short to DeKalb, 1-4, on Sept. 14. They also lost to Boylan, 5-0, on Sept. 9. Senior Kiana Staton won 6-0 and 6-1 at #1 Singles.