Nungaray wins Belvidere’s Got Talent

DEAN CORYELL

Aurora Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Senior Daniela Nungaray won over the judges with her performance of “In Love With Another Man” by Jasmine Sullivan during Belvidere’s Got Talent on Feb. 22.

The show opened with the show’s emcees consisting of juniors Jacob Costa and Jacob Thiede, and BNHS students Sydney Kletecka and Eveyln Molina. There were 12 performances in total during the show with one special performance done by Darby’s Dancers, a nonprofit organization that provides dance classes to children with special needs. Each performance displayed different talents and altogether was a great show for the families and students attending, earning applause from the audience every time.

“I’m amazed and ecstatic, it’s a lot to describe,” Nungaray said. “I’m so thankful and happy that I got the opportunity to do this and actually win. I’ve worked so hard to get my voice where it is right now.”

A band consisting of sophomores Marco Bychowski, Nadia Jensen, Alex Steege, Alex Johnson, and Charles Seelow caught the audiences’ attention. The band performed songs from the TV show Spongebob Squarepants and won People’s Choice for the night.

“We’re thrilled that people voted us as the best act; it means a lot to us,” Bychowski said. “Our performance went way better than expected. Even when we had technical difficulties, we made the best of it.”

Senior Carter Coryell surprised fellow students and his family by revealing that he had learned piano in secret. Coryell performed an original song called “Athena.”

“There was a message that I couldn’t have gotten across without doing a song of my own. There are many things that I’d like to say and never get the chance to, nobody else’s words would suffice,” Coryell said. “I hope it was worth a listen.”

Belvidere’s Got Talent raised $1,000 this year for Darby’s Dancers. This was BHS and BNHS’ second annual talent show so far. Last year’s winner was former student Emily Beal, who gave a performance of “Never Enough” from The Greatest Showman. 

Photo provided by Dean Coryell.