Basketball seasons wind down

Ethan Andres, Editor

The BHS girls basketball team saw their season conclude on Feb. 17, at the IHSA Sycamore Regional, as they fell to Rochelle, 52-48.

Senior guard Maya Smith concluded her historic run with the Lady Bucs, scoring a career high 31 points. Over her time at BHS, she scored a grand total of 1,617 career points. With that, she became the top three-point scorer in BHS history.

“The key was always doing my best and leaving it all out on the court,” said Smith.

The ladies also hosted Hononegah on Feb. 14 to conclude their regular season. They lost, but Smith scored 22 points and added six rebounds. Junior Paige Kitsemble added eight points.

Additionally, the Lady Bucs sophomore team closed out their season on Feb. 15 on a positive note with a win over Freeport 30-29.

The boys basketball team took on Jefferson on Feb. 19. The game was back and forth in the first half, but Jefferson won the second half by a large margin to secure the victory. Despite the Bucs coming up short, sophomore forward Byron West scored 20 points.

“My success on the court is based on the team’s success. We practice hard and we play to the best of our abilities every game.” said West.

They also traveled across town to Belvidere North on Feb. 14. The crosstown rivals played a close game in the first half, but Belvidere North prevailed and won the game 51-33. Junior Gavin Gleason led the Bucs, scoring 10.

The boys travel to Hononegah tonight with the game starting at 7:15 p.m. Next week, they conclude their regular season on Feb. 26, as they host Auburn, which will be senior night.