Wrestling, Bowling Advance to Sectionals

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

Lady Buc bowlers juniors Danie Heinz and Paige Smith advanced to the Maple Park Kaneland Sectional from the IHSA Guilford Regional on Feb. 8.

Heinz placed ninth individually with a 1,114 series and Smith placed 15th with a 1,067 series. The Lady Bucs were only 38 pins away from fourth place, which would have sent them to sectionals as a team. The girls compete at sectionals on Feb. 15.

Heinz said, “Overall, sectionals was super good for the whole team and I’m really proud of what we accomplished. Even though we didn’t qualify together, we really pushed each other to do our best.”

The co-op varsity wrestling team placed second at regionals on Feb. 8. Senior Presley Beasley (first), junior Josh Pizano (third), sophomores Alejandro Banuelos (third) and Izaac Palmer (third) qualified for sectionals at Barrington High School on Feb. 15.

Beasley said, “The season has gone very well for us as a team and we have won many duals as a team. I have improved a lot; I have been working a lot harder for what I’m striving for and what I want to achieve. I’m ready, as well as the team, for the state series.”

The boys co-op swim and dive team placed second at the NIC-10 Fresh/Soph tournament on Feb. 8. Freshman Declan Dwyer had a third place finish in diving and sophomore Anthony Girone dropped 18 seconds throughout the meet.

Head Coach Mrs. Allison Smith said, “I am really proud of the team for placing second at the NIC-10 Fresh/Soph Conference. Although we lost to Hononegah, it was very exciting to watch our 400 relay beat Hononegah’s relay.  I am expecting another second place finish this Saturday at Varsity Conference and hope to see Daniel Golonka place first in the 100 breaststroke.”

The varsity boys compete at their conference meet at Harlem on Feb. 15.