Bowling finishes at state

Jacob Fitch, Co-Editor

The boy’s bowling team competed at state at St. Claire bowling alley. They finished 24 overall with a 5,703 series.

Many individuals have gone to the state from BHS, but boys bowling is the first team from BHS that has gone to state in ten years.

The boys competed in the Dekalb sectional on Jan. 25 at Mardi Gras Lanes. The team finished in fifth place with a 6,203 final series.

Senior Nathan Tepp placed third for the highest performing individual in the tournament ending with a 1,403 final series.

Tepp said, “As a team, we performed better than we ever have before and I’m incredibly proud of my teammates.”

Head coach Mr. Marc Felix said, “When I first accepted the boys head coach bowling position 4 years ago, I had a personal goal of creating a State Qualifying team within 4 years. Last year we missed qualifying by less than 100 pins and that moment hurt because we were so close. At the beginning of this season at the Winter Sports Kickoff Night, I stood in front of everyone in the gymnasium with the entire bowling program behind me and said out loud on a microphone that we were going to qualify for State this year. That feeling of putting words into action is indescribable. All eight bowlers senior Anthony Bychowski, freshman Johnny Carter, junior Tanner Dittbenner, sophomore Nathan LaScola, sophomore Ryan Schoon, sophomore Robert Smith, seniors Greg Suthers & Tepp, my 2 Assistant Coaches, Chris Carter & Anthony Gutierrez, and our one amazing team manager sophomore Brianna Fowler have collectively believed in ourselves… We all share the same desire, the same hunger to be where we are today. On Jan. 25th at Sectionals, we bowled for each other… Nobody made it about themselves and through this mindset we have been successful. We’re going to carry this mindset down to State and do the best we can to represent ourselves, our school and our community. It’s been 14 years since the last time Belvidere boys bowling program has been to State I am so proud of my boys, I am so proud to coach for Belvidere High School and although I graduated from Sycamore High School I proudly bleed PURPLE and GOLD!”