Wrestling finishes second in conference

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

The co-op wrestling team placed second at their conference meet on Feb. 1.

The team will compete at the IHSA Regionals at Huntley on Feb. 8.

The varsity cheer team placed tenth at Sectionals on Feb. 1.

Senior Lexi Vermies said, “Even though our season ended, we still finished strong and we had a lot of great finishes throughout the season.”

The boys swimming team placed third in the JV and Freshman invite on Jan. 31. The team also placed third at the Woodstock North Invite on Jan. 25 and junior Daniel Golonka finished first in the 100 Breaststroke. The boys lost to Woodstock on Jan. 23, but had multiple time drops throughout the team. They have their conference meet on Feb. 15 at Harlem.

The boys basketball team lost to Guilford, 57-46, on Jan. 31. Senior Zarius Dent led with 16 points. They also lost to Boylan on Jan. 29 and lost to Harlem on Jan. 24. They also beat North Boone, 57-38, on Jan. 22. Junior Gavin Gleason led the team with 16 points, while senior Isaiah Rhodes had 10 points. The boys host Freeport on Feb. 5.

Gleason said, “The season is not going as well as we planned. We were expecting to have a few more wins at this part of the season, but we just haven’t closed these tight games that we have had. But, we hope to have a run in regionals this season, we really have the talent to do so, if we play to our potential. This season, we have started out slowly but we are really starting to play better and we are making these games more competitive.”

The Lady Bucs basketball team lost to Guilford, 45-37, on Jan. 31. Senior Maya Smith added 26 points,  five rebounds, and eight steals. The girls lost to Belvidere North on Jan. 30. The team also lost to Auburn on Jan. 28, 57-42. Senior Maya Smith led the team with 26 points and 11 rebounds. Sophomore Brynn Kirkland had six rebounds, sophomore Stephanie Anacleto had six points, and junior Delaney Hausen had four points with five rebounds. The girls play Freeport on Feb. 4 at home.

The girls bowling team placed 15 in the Viking Invite on Jan. 25. Junior Danie Heinz led the Lady Bucs with a 1,086 series and sophomore Karah Hook followed with a 998. The girls also lost to Marengo, 2,939-2,671, on Jan. 21. The team dropped a loss to East, 3,274-2,971, on Jan. 20. Heinz bowled the highest series, 605, to lead the team. The girls play Woodstock at Kingston Lanes on Feb. 4.

Heinz said, “The season was overall pretty good for building up the program and things are really looking up for next year.”

The dance team ended their season with a 14th place finish at the Dekalb Sectional.