Swimming places fourth

Jacob Fitch, Co-Editor

Kicking it off in sports, Belvidere co-op wrestling won against East on Jan. 23rd, 54-24. They also beat Harvard 39-30 on Jan. 21st. The team finished their season with an undefeated conference record of 8-0 and 17-4 overall record.

BHS varsity competitive cheer placed fourth at the conference tournament on Jan. 23rd at Hononegah. The team is moving on to sectionals at Belvidere North on Saturday, Feb. 1st.

Junior Mariah Ceballos said, “It was such a great moment knowing that all of our stunts hit and we put out our best performance yet, I am so proud of my team, we all fought for it and worked our best and it paid off.”

The Belvidere men’s co-op swimming and diving team took fourth at the J-Hawk Invitational on Jan. 18th. Freshman Declan Dwyer placed third in diving. Junior Daniel Golonka placed third in the 100 breaststroke and set a record in the 100 breast and 200 IM

This was Mrs. Allison’s Smith first year as head coach, she said, ” When the former head coach told me he was leaving, and therefore meant I would be taking over as head coach, I was definitely nervous about taking on that responsibility.  It has gone way better than I thought it would!  While it is certainly way more work, it is also more rewarding.  The team is awesome in both their efforts and personalities.  We have been performing better than expected this season, and I am so excited to see how they do at conference and sectionals.  Sometimes at this point of the season, one could be drained and looking forward to the end of the season, but I am loving it and will be sad when it’s over.”

Boy’s basketball dropped two losses on Jan. 18th and 20th. On the 18th, the team fell Genoa-Kingston 50-40. Seniors Zaruis Dent had 15 points and Shamarion Collymore added ten. On the 20th, the team fell to Woodstock 63-47. Dent had 20 points, junior Gavin Gleason added 11 and sophomore Byron West had eight.