Boys bowling advances to Sectionals

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

The boys bowling team placed fourth at the Guilford Regional on Jan. 18 and advanced to sectionals with an overall 5,801 series.

Senior Tony Bychowski led the way with a 1,266 series and senior Greg Suthers closely followed with a 1,261 series.

Bychowski said, “Our team has gotten exponentially better and we have become one of the best teams in the state. As for sectionals, my goal is to average 220 and help my team get to state.”

Bychowski, Suthers, and senior Nathan Tepp are returners from last season’s varsity team. Last year, the boys placed fourth as a team at the Belvidere North Regional and placed eighth at the Jefferson Sectional.

Suthers said, “Overall, our season has been pretty good. We had a few unlucky losses throughout the season and finished lower than we expected, but we did very well in regionals and want to carry that momentum into sectionals and make it to state.”

In the 2017-18 season, Suthers and 2019 graduate Kevin Jenks advanced to sectionals individually from placing sixth at the regional as a team.

Head Coach Mr. Mark Felix said, “The difference in this year and years past is that there is a belief that we can be more and do more. It’s trickling down through the JV, so I’m hoping that once we lose our five seniors, these freshmen and sophomores will carry that through and stay strong.”

The boys compete at the Dekalb Sectional at Mardi Gras lanes on Jan. 25.