BHS starts blended learning

Jacob Fitch, Co-Editor

Possibly starting the 2020-21 school year BHS will be starting the blended learning days to replace weather days. Practice blended days are on Jan. 30th and April 8th and are not student required attendance days. If the practice days go well the blended learning days will be approved for next year.

Blended days are a replacement for weather hazard days when it would be considered too dangerous to go to school. Blended days are similar to blended classes except instead of just one class being non-required the whole day is non-required.

A pro of the blended days is that it is no longer required to make up the days students miss, unlike snow days where it has to be made up at the end of the year.

Junior Jaclyn McDonald said, “I think this is a very good change at BHS. We have very cold winters and I hate making up the days when it’s finally nice outside.”

During student’s stay at home, according to administration teachers are required to send out work at least 24 hours beforehand to students. The reason why teachers must send out work is so it counts as a school day. Each course’s activities should not take longer than a normal class period. Students will be able to access these assignments on canvas. If students do not have internet access at home consider printing the assignments, visiting somewhere with public wifi, or the library at BHS will be available for wifi use. Transportation through First Student will be available for students who choose the library. Cold breakfast and lunch will also be available to students.

Sophomore Ethan Gardner said, “As long as teachers don’t expect everyone to do the homework, I think this is a cool idea.”

Teachers will be available to contact from 10-11 am and 2-3 pm. If a student is in a sport on the blended learning days the student should contact the coach to see if the practice is canceled.