Winter Sports Jump back into Action

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

The varsity boys bowling team fell to Hononegah, 3991-3575, on Jan. 7 with freshman Johnny Carter leading the pack with a 289 game.

The boys also placed second at the Buccaneer Invite on Jan. 4 and senior Nathan Tepp bowled a 269 game. The girls came up a little bit short against Hononegah as well, 3,228-2,796, on Jan. 7. The girls finished in ninth place at the Buccaneer Invite. Junior Danielle Heinz placed fourth overall with a 1202 series and senior Hailey Schloskey placed sixth in high game with a 236 game.

Tepp said, “We’ve improved on keeping a consistent performance at tournaments and our goal is to make it to state this year. I hope to get top 16 in conference individually.”

The girls basketball team lost to Rockford Lutheran on Jan. 8. Senior Maya Smith had 13 points and eight rebounds, while sophomore Stephanie Anacieto had 11 points and five rebounds. They also fell short to Auburn on Jan. 7. The girls play next at Hononegah today, starting at 7 p.m.

Boys basketball lost to Jefferson on Jan. 8. Senior Zarius Dent led the team with 14 points and junior Gavin Gleason followed with eight points. The boys have their next game today against Hononegah at home.

Junior Dylan Schohn said, “We had a tough start to the season but we are really expecting to turn it around, come the second half of the season.”

The boys swimming and diving team beat Boylan and Auburn on Jan. 9. They also participated at the Boylan Invitational on Dec. 27. Junior Daniel Golonka placed sixth individually. The boys also placed second at the Rockford East Relay Invitational on Dec. 21. Their next competition is the Auburn Relay Invite on Jan. 11.

The wrestling team beat Byron 48-24 and Hampshire 54-15 on Jan. 7. Senior Presley Beasley, junior Jonathan Urbieta, and sophomore Jake Bell went 2-0 for the night. The team competes next at the Sycamore Invite on Jan. 11.

Urbieta said, “We have a really strong competing team this year and I believe we have a strong chance of winning conference.”

The varsity cheerleading team placed second at their Bucs Winter Classic. Their next competition is at the Grayslake North Invite on Jan. 18.