Swim wraps up, Wrestling starts

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swim wraps up, Wrestling starts

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

The girls Co-op swimming team placed sixth at the Jefferson Sectionals on Nov. 16.

Junior Emerson Gaines set PRs in the 200 freestyle and the 100 backstroke.

She said, “I think the team as a whole did really well. We all pushed through and worked hard. We all improved our times by the end of the season. Individually, I didn’t do as well as I hoped, but I still ended up dropping time and doing the best I could do.”

Freshman Sutton Gaines swam in the 100 IM and the 100 breaststroke, along with dropping time as a part of the 400 freestyle relay.

She said, “The team has definitely improved a lot throughout this season and we finished strong with much success in and out of the water. Best times were achieved and great friendships were made.”

For the boys swimming team, they start their practices on Nov. 25 and have their first meet on Dec. 7 at the Harlem Invite.

In other sports, the Co-op wrestling team has their first match on Nov. 26 at Auburn.

Returning key wrestlers include senior Presley Beasley, juniors Jonathon Urbieta and Josue Pizano, sophomores Jake Bell, Izaac Palmer, and Alejandro Banuelos-Ruiz.

Pizano said, “Our wrestling team is small, but we are ready and I think that we will have a great chance to win conference with a lot of our starters returning.”