Girls, Boys Basketball open up new seasons

Ethan Andres, Editor

The Lady Bucs basketball team opened up its season at Genoa-Kingston High School on Nov. 18, falling short 47-32.

Senior Maya Smith led the way in the loss, scoring 16 points. She hit a milestone of 1,000 career points in high school.

“The key to making this year the best year for me is winning regionals. That’s been a dream of mine since I was a freshman. I hope we can go further than regionals (sectionals, state), but I hope I can lead this team to many victories,” Smith said.

The Lady Bucs struggled at the beginning with a 10-point deficit to the Cogs. However, they narrowed the deficit to four points by halftime. In the end, the Cogs won the second half as well to seal the victory in the season opener.

The second game turned out better, as they picked up their first win of the season, beating North Boone 49-38. Smith once again lead the way, scoring 25 points and adding four assists and four steals. Sophomore Stephanie Anacleto added 10 points.

This weekend, they play in the Wauconda Tournament.

Boys basketball had tryouts a week ago and open up their season over Thanksgiving break at the Sycamore Strombom Tournament.

“I’m excited for the opportunities we have coming into the season; we have some really great guys on the team and we want the same thing and that is to get better,” junior guard Tony Haras said.