Cross Country, Volleyball hit regionals, sectionals

Ethan Andres, Editor

The boys and girls Cross Country teams both saw success during the IHSA Sterling Regional on Oct. 26, with the whole girls team making it to sectionals and senior Nick Fiore and junior Owin Hunter making it as individuals for the boys.

The girls team placed fifth overall. This is the first time they placed in the top-six at regionals in over a decade. Sophomore Kaleigh Inniss and junior Journie Manzella both placed in the top 30 for the Bucs. Inniss placed 15th with a time of 19:55, while Manzella placed 22nd with a time of 20:29.

“I had a good summer with lots of training under my belt,” said Manzella. “I was also determined to have a better season this year and beat my freshman year personal record. My teammates also helped me push throughout the season, so I think they helped me out the most.”

Fiore led the way for the Bucs boys team with a 17:00 time, finishing in 18th place. Hunter was next up, finishing with 17:49 and in 32nd place.

“I think I will do better this year than last year at sectionals because I would get a better personal record, my goal is for my personal record to be 16:15,” said Fiore.

Overall, the boys placed seventh as a team and missed qualifying for sectionals by eight points. In addition, sophomore Dominic Moran had a personal best time of 18:01.

The Bucs cross country runners that qualified for sectionals will run here at Belvidere High School on Nov. 2 for sectionals.

The girls volleyball season closed out their season at the IHSA Rochelle Regional on Oct. 29 against Rochelle. They lost in two games both with a score of 25-18.

“I think this season went pretty well,” said sophomore Joanna Brown, “I’m excited for next year, we will have a lot of juniors on the varsity team next year.”