Soccer falls to Antioch

Back to Article
Back to Article

Soccer falls to Antioch

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

The boys soccer team fell to Antioch, 2-1, on Oct. 3

The boys also won against Auburn at home on Oct. 1, 7-2. Junior Adrian Murillo led the team with three goals. Seniors Ivan Aguilar, Fabian Perez, sophomore Alex Banuelos, and freshman Daniel Nava scored one goal each.

The football team played against Jefferson at Auburn on Sept. 27. The boys lost, 26-7. Senior QB Howie Goston scored the lone touchdown. The boys play on Oct. 4 at Auburn.

“The season hasn’t gone how we hoped for it to go so far, but we have improved in small steps along the way, focusing on culture more than anything.” said senior Jaxson Forman, “Our goal for the rest of the season is to set building blocks for the next group and continue to grow as a program. As Coach Hernandez would say, ‘Brick by Brick.'”

The boys golf team lost to Freeport, 197-233, on Sept. 30. They now move onto conference, starting Oct. 4.

Junior Coe Walberg led the girls golf team to a fourth place overall finish at their conference tournament on Oct. 3, with a 10th place individual finish.

Walberg said, “Overall, my season this year has been better than previous years. Although, I wasn’t too happy with my results for conference, so I will continue to work on lowering my scores for regionals.”

Girls volleyball beat Freeport on Oct. 3 in two sets: 25-16 and 25-7. They lost to Guilford on Oct. 1 in two sets: 25-9 and 27-25.

Senior Grace Haug said, “I’m really proud of my team for how we played against Freeport. It’s nice to see us coming together after going through a rough patch halfway through our season. I’m really excited to see how the rest of the season turns out.”

The girls and boys cross country teams ran at the Rock River Run on Sept. 28. Juniors Tim Jones and Hunter DeBruyne both set PRs in the boys varsity race; Jones with 21:19 and DeBruyne with 22:07. The varsity girls race next at the Peoria Invite, while the JV girls and all the boys race at Freeport on Oct. 5.

The Lady Bucs tennis team lost to Guilford, 4-1, on Oct. 3. Sophomore Beau DeGennaro won in first singles. The team lost to Harlem on Oct. 1, 3-2. DeGennaro won at first singles and junior Kiana Staton won at second singles.

The girls Co-op swimming team competes at the Jefferson Invite on Oct. 5.