Teen vaping usage increases

Aurora Rodriguez, Staff Writer

Teen vaping and e-cigarette usage in the U.S. has gone up to 25 percent compared to only 20 percent in 2017.

Illinois passed a vaping law on April 8 of this year, prohibiting the sale of tobacco, vaping or liquid nicotine to anyone under the age of 21. The Tobacco 21 law went into effect on July 1.

According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, a total of 22 people in Illinois have experienced respiratory illness after using e-cigarettes or vaping. Many of these victims ended up with acute respiratory distress syndrome.

While e-cigarette companies claim that vaping is a safer alternative to smoking cigarettes, some vape products still carry nicotine in them according to Healthline.

“I think it’s stupid,” senior Idelfonso Arteaga said. “Nicotine is an addictive substance and it shouldn’t be consumed.”

The first death reported of a vaping-related illness occurred on Aug. 23 in Illinois. There have now been four more vaping-related deaths since then; ranging from Indiana, California, Oregon, and Minnesota.

“I don’t think people should vape, especially not in school,” senior Jhaidel Del Real said.

Vaping has been an issue here at BHS.

“Last year, vaping became a lot more popular. Vapes are easier for students to hide, so we’ve seen an increase in usage,” Mr. Jim Friesema, assistant principal, said.

The vaping epidemic continues to grow, with more young adults being put into hospitals.