Fall sports dive into their seasons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fall sports dive into their seasons

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

The boys and girls cross country teams had their first meet on Aug. 31. The girls placed first and the boys placed third. The boys’ goal for the season is to qualify to sectionals as a whole team.

The Boys’ Head Coach Mr. Salley said, “Many team members are new to the sport but have shown tremendous growth since the beginning of summer.”

The girls volleyball team beat East on Sept. 5 in two sets: 25-15 and 25-23. Senior Grace Haug led the team with seven kills.

Football had their first game on Aug. 30 against Freeport, at home. They lost with a score of 47-7. Senior Dillion Reidinger scored the lone touchdown for the Bucs on an eight-yard pass from junior quarterback Durlin Lemke.

The boys soccer team had their first match on Aug. 28. They lost to Crystal Lake South, last years’ 2A State Champs, 6-0.

Their new Head Coach, Mr. Chris Horteales, said, “Our expectations for this year is getting used to the new style of play that we are implementing throughout all levels in the BHS soccer program. It will take some time to get used to but I am confident in our boy’s abilities.”

The boys golf team have already played at three invites this year, and the girls have played at two. The girls lost to Rockford co-op on Aug. 27, 212-174. The boys lost to Belvidere North on Aug. 28, 252-170.

Boys’ Head Coach, Mr. Jeremy Edwards, said, “The golf team is very young this year. We are taking a long term approach and focusing on the fundamentals of golf and getting better every day.”

The Girls Tennis team placed fifth on Aug. 31 in the Sterling Invitational. They lost to Rochelle, 3-2, on Aug. 28. Their next match is Sept. 5, at home.

The girls swimming and diving team finished fourth in their first invite on Sept. 3.

Head Swimming Coach, Mrs. Traci Torbert, said, “The Belvidere Co-op Girls Swimming & Diving team is off to a strong start.  We have a lot of talented upperclassmen, and we’ve had some fast freshman come in.  I think will have a great season and will likely finish near the top of the conference.”