Scholarship Night helps recognize Seniors for achievements

Jack Larson, Staff Writer

BHS and BNHS Seniors received scholarships on May 16, in the Belvidere PAC. Major scholarships include, The Hugh K. Funderburg Award won by Steven King, and Emma Salley, and the Mantle Award won by James Wiedow.

“This means a lot,” said Wiedow. “It means that my hard work is paying off. Now I can further my knowledge with the money that I won.”

Wiedow is a member of the Scholastic Bowl team, meaning he could use the prize money toward attending camps, etc. He could also use it toward his college tuition, as Wiedow plans on attending a four year university, and be a physician’s assistant.

Other important scholarships include, the Mike Hearn Memorial Football Scholarship won by Austin Hausen, and the Harold H. & Marjorie L. Pratt Scholarship given to Kai Bonsol. Mantle winner Wiedow was alongside three other finalists Caitlyn Swimelar, Lily Perez, and John King

Scholarship night would not be possible without the help of the guidance counselors, who work hard to set it up, and arrange it every year. One counselor who is a lead contributor would be Ms. Gomory, who is now finishing her fourth year at BHS.

“This is my first group that I have seen go from freshman to senior year,” said Gomory. “It has been extra special to watch them grow, and take home serious money. I am so thankful that collectively we have about a quarter million that our students have access to, it is great for this money to be available to our students, and it is a huge advantage for them, just being a part of District 100.”

Senior Emma Wallace won a total of eight scholarships including the Funderburg Business Scholarship, the Robert Tripke Industrial Arts Scholarship, and the Owen M. Johnson Scholarship.

“It is really humbling to get this money for college,” said Wallace. “This will help me pursue my dreams. I will be attending UW Platteville to study mechanical engineering.”

Wallace was also head drum major of the BHS Marching Band, and also involved in Student Council, Cross Country, and Track and Field.

Senior Kevin Jenks took home a lot of scholarships as well. Jenks is involved with golf, bowling, tennis, NHS, and Band. Jenks’s natural gift of bowling paid off for him as it helped him win three of his five scholarships.

“This means a lot because I have been bowling since I was five,” said Jenks. “I am truly honored to receive this money which I can put towards my college education, as I plan to attend Virginia Tech to study Ocean Engineering.”

Senior scholarship night is about recognizing District 100 students for their accomplishments, and helping them follow their dreams which they have worked so hard for.

“This is like The Oscars,” said Ms. Gomory. “Everybody is dressed up and it is very exciting to see family members and friends come out to cheer everybody on”