Girls track competes at sectionals

Joanna Brown, Staff Writer

Belvidere girls track team competed at sectionals on May 9 at Rochelle Township High School.

The Bucs gave their all at sectionals but came a little short for the chance to compete at state. Multiple girls got a personal record in the events that they competed in. Freshman, Rebecca Kolk placed eighth in triple jump for the finals also setting her own personal record.

“I think that placing in the finals as a freshman has helped me for the next couple of years because I know what competition is out there and how I can improve for my next three years,” said Kolk.

In other events, freshman Kaleigh Inniss placed 11th in the 800 meter run with a time of 2:33.48. She has been running since she was in fifth grade and still enjoys doing it.

“I definitely need to be more aggressive during the races. Some girls run so dirty, fair but dirty. Really, the whole team should be more aggressive. We’re too nice,” said Inniss.

In more events, many girls made a personal record. For the 4 x 800 sophomore Journie Manzella, senior Kim Rico,freshman Mlyze Medrano, and sophomore Ana Estrada. In the 4 x 100 relay freshmen Jadyen Ward, Yaritza Carrillo, Carolyn Salgado, and Briyanna Morris. The 4 x 200 placed eighth out of 16 teams setting a personal record. Senior Becca Colson for pole vault with seven feet,seven inches.

“The girls worked hard and improved every week. Even though we did not score a team point, there were several girls who posted a personal record in their events,” said Coach Duane Astling.