BHS student-athletes get awarded on Sports Banquet night

Rebecca Kolk, Staff Writer

Coaches and staff award student-athletes at the Sports Banquet in the PAC on May 14 to congratulate all the accomplishments of athletes and coaches throughout the school year.

Athletic Director Tim Ballard opened up the Sports Banquet thanking sponsors, coaches, parents, players, and his assistant Sandy Cordray for all their time and effort that they have put into BHS. He introduced all of the Captains and MVP’s of all of the fall, winter, and spring sports, congratulating them for their accomplishments.

Ballard awarded Belvidere High School’s Coach of the Year to Andy Werhane. Werhane has been coaching girls bowling for five years and has been coaching and teaching for 12 years. He was Belvidere High School Coach of the Year this year and last year as well. He feels greatly appreciated that he got this award.

“It is humbling to win this award once, let alone twice. We have such great, caring, devoted and capable coaches (many of whom I see as better at their jobs than I am) that it’s a real honor to be named that twice in a row. Also, this award is all about my bowling girls. Coaches are not named coach of the year when their teams aren’t successful. My girls’ talent, dedication, and performance won me this award, not my coaching alone. Plus, my assistant coaches make our success as possible as I ever have. So, in short, it feels good to win the award, but more so because of what is says about my team’s performance than anything I did personally,” said Werhane.

Varsity Football Coach Darin Wecker gave a great speech and awarded Steven King Best Senior Athlete for males. King played football, basketball, and baseball. Girls Varsity Cross Country Coach John Deery gave a wonderful and emotional speech for Emma Salley, who won Best Senior Athlete for females. She ran cross country and track.

“It was an honor to receive Best Female Athlete of the Year. I know that I’ve worked extremely hard to get where I am over the past four years, and it is great to see all of my hard work finally paying off,”said Salley.

Other senior athletes who earned awards were Jena Mogenis who got the Mark Frailey award, Adrion Dalipi won the Doug Johnson award, Kevin Jenks won the Brandon Ramey Athletic award, Rylee Abraham won the Cathy Drozynski Award, Dane Jankiewicz got awarded the Stan Patrick Scholar Athlete Award, and Mallory Gibbons won the Laurie Potter Scholar Athlete Award.