BHS offers summer camps

Bridget Hunt, Staff writer

Belvidere High School is offering summer camps for the student body. Offering sports camps over the summer of 2019 for students at BHS, who plan on doing sports next season. These camps are perfect for teens who want to get practice in and still be productive for the summer.

Offering soccer camps that last to June 10 to 14. Only a four day camp and will cost $45, with a shirt included. The camp will be at the soccer field. Ages will range from six-13 at 11:30 a.m to 1:00 p.m. High School athletes will be from 1 p.m to 3:00 p.m. This camp will be coached by Simon Stevens as head coach and Chris Horteales as an assistant coach.

BHS is also offering girls basketball, starting June 3rd until June 7th. Location is at BHS in the wood gym. Only a 5-day camp and will cost $50.00 per camper, which also includes a free T-shirt. For girls basketball, you have to be a student at BHS. Schedule times will be June 3rd from 3:30-5: 00 pm, June 4 from 1:30 to 3: 00 p.m, June 5 at 8 to 10 a.m and that will be the same time for June 6 and 7. In those times on camp, you will be working on dribbling, shooting, ball handling, footwork and more. The camp will be coached by Christina Douglas.

Douglas said, ¨The girl’s basketball camp at Belvidere high school is going to be a great opportunity for girls to improve existing skills and learn new skills. We are going to challenge girls to step outside of their comfort zone and learn new skills to implement into their game. The camp is going to focus on many drills and basketball knowledge that girls can take home to practice. Our entire basketball staff, along with the girls are very excited to be back in the gym and weight room working this summer!¨

Also, offering golf at BHS. Golf will be on Mondays at Timber Pointe golf course. Camp will start at 4 p.m every Monday on June 3 to July 29.  There will be nine days of camp. There will also be a Rockford public courses on Wednesdays starting at 4 p.m. The Rockford camp will cost $14. Dates for Rockford is June 5 through 31. At camp, the athletes will be going through basic training skills.

BHS is also offering boys basketball. The basketball camp will be offering only grades 7-12. The summer calendar will be available on BHS 8 to 18 website. Costing is $50, with a T-shirt. The boys trying the camp out will be learning the development of offensive and defensive. Also offering to BHS players if attending regularly will get to have the opportunity to play summer games at other locations.

Tennis will also be another camp BHS is hosting. Tennis camp will be going on for eight days. Starting from June 17 to June 27. Grades will be split to 3 to 6 from 9:00 a.m to 10:00 am, grades 7 to 9 from 10:00 a.m to 11:00 a.m. Cost up to $50 a camper, with an additional t-shirt. The cost is mainly going to the basic skills you will be learning or reviewing. Tennis camp will be coached by coach Schindler.

Schindler said, ¨Well it´s gonna be the 3 year doing the camp and every time the girls come the first year they´ll just keep coming back. We love ending the season with a water balloon fight.¨

Last but not least BHS is offering youth poms over the summer. The camp date will start July 22-24 and will be a performance Wednesday starting at 5:30 p.m. The performance will be at Rockford Rivets. The cost of camp will be $50 including with an additional T-shirt. The students will be coached by April Carli. Carli will be teaching a pom dance to the students and basic routines for the girls.