Bucs open up during spring break

Ethan Andres, Editor

The Bucs baseball team opened their season up during spring break with a double header against Rock Falls at home on March 23 and an away game against Rochelle on March 27.

The Bucs were swept in the double header against Rock Falls.

Their first game was a 3-2 loss. Each of the Bucs two runs were scored in a seventh-inning rally, but it would not be enough to complete the comeback. Junior Gavin Lake scored on an RBI double from junior Carter Coryell. Coryell would score on a sacrifice RBI by sophomore Matthew Martinez.

The second game of the double header saw the Bucs struggle more. They lost 13-1.

They did not exit the trip to Rochelle with a win either. They took a tough shutout loss.

On April 1, the Bucs went to DeKalb seeking their first win. Unfortunately, they were outscored 9-3. Coryell lead the way going 2-3 with a pair of singles.

“Simply playing and leading are two completely different things. When it comes to being a leader, I may be ready next year, I would like to be able to do better defensively, so that’s what I’d like to focus on,” said Coryell, “As for continuing what’s been happening, I just have to hope that laziness isn’t a factor and that we as a team will keep a positive mindset moving forward.”

Next week, they open up their in-conference play with two games against Boylan. Their first one is at home on April 8 and the next one is at Boylan on April 10.

“It’s gonna be a tough start to the in-conference season, but it should be a good test to see where we are at as a team,” said senior infielder Steven King.

About the Writer
Ethan Andres, Editor

Ethan loves sports. A junior at BHS, he manages football and baseball at BHS and likes all the Chicago teams except for the Sox. He is Editor in Chief...