Boys Basketball starts off regionals strong

Ashley Birkness, Staff Writer

The boy’s basketball team lost, 55-53 at the crosstown matchup against Belvidere North in OT on Wednesday, Feb. 20. Seniors Austin Hausen led with 13 points, Andy Valladares had 11 points, Zach Tobler had nine points, and Steven King had eight points.  

Senior Steven King said, “It felt great to end the season strong against our rivals. The crowd was amazing as well which definitely gave us the energy we needed to give our best effort against them. It is a game that I will never forget that’s for sure.”

To kick off regionals the team played Harvard at Genoa-Kingston on Feb. 25. They defeated Harvard 56-44 and advanced to the next game. Junior Isaiah Rhodes led with 14 points, Tobler with 12 points,  junior Zarius Dent with 11 points and senior Adrion Dalipi with eight.

The team fell in a close game against Woodstock North for the second game of regionals on Feb. 26. Tobler and Dent led the way with 12 points each. Dalipi had nine points and King ended the game with a half-court shot at the buzzer.

Dalipi said, “I feel like everyone really gave it their all, I have no doubt in my mind, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough. But I’m glad to end my senior year with a good fight.”

Boys Basketball coach Brian Koehne said, “I think overall this year had a lot of positives. We made a lot of changes to the style of play compared to what most of our guys were used to, and it takes a lot of time to make those adjustments. We finished the season with a great group of guys in the program and I had a lot of fun working with them. I really appreciate the commitment that they made to each other and the program. Obviously, we would have like to have more wins, but I do think that we were able to lay a solid foundation this season. I believe that we took a good step forward in the process of building this program and that we will continue to work hard and have more success in the future.”

Although the team is finished playing games, four Buc shooters including Dalipi, Dent, King, and Hausen will compete in the three-point shootout Friday at 5:30 p.m. at Genoa Kingston High School.