Lady Bucs fight to keep streak alive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Bucs fight to keep streak alive

Ashley Birkeness, Staff Writer

The girls basketball team picked up to big wins last weekend. On Feb. 1, the girls beat Freeport 52-47. On Febuary 2, Varsity dominated the East E-Rabs 64-46. The team looks to continue their winning streak as they get ready for regionals.

On Febuary 1 the Bucs stopped the Pretzels from a big win. Junior Maya Smith had 20 points, senior Lexi Keating had 11 points and five steals, sophomore Paige Kitsemble had seven points and senior Rylee Abraham had six points and eight rebounds.

Senior Lexi Keating said, “Freeport has always been one of those nail biter games and I’m very glad we kept our composure and came out with a win.”

On Febuary 2, the girls topped East for their senior night. Smith had 19 points, 5 rebounds and 9 assists. Senior Kori Kotarba had 13 points. Abraham had 11 points and six rebounds and Keating had eight points and five steals.

Senior Yoyo Gardner said, “I feel fortunate to have been given the chance to redeem ourselves as a team and take a win on senior night. It was definitely a night to remember.”

Girls Varsity basketball coach Cristina Douglas said, “The ladies are coming off two really big wins against Freeport and East which has happened at a great time in the season. Ultimately, going into regionals, we need to stay true to the style of basketball we play. We have to believe in each other and play together. A lot of things have finally clicked and the girls have seen what great things can happen when we play with aggressiveness and confidence. We are going into regionals with a winning mentality.

They Lady Bucs will be competing in the Stillman Valley Regional. They will first take on #6 Rockford Lutheran on Monday, February 11 at 7:30 p.m at Stillman Valley High School.

The Bucs will play Boylan at home Friday, Feburary 8 at 7:00 p.m. The Lady Bucs will also play Saturday, Febuary 9 home vs. Jefferson at 5:00 p.m