Wrestlers stay strong in conference, regionals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ethan Andres, Editor

The Belvidere co-op wrestlers competed in the IHSA 3A Regional at Rockford East High School on Feb. 2 and the NIC-10 conference meet on Jan. 26 also at Rockford East, where they placed 4th as a team.

At regionals, the team had seven wrestlers place in their respective weight classes, including 3 from BHS.

Junior Presley Beasley placed second in the 120 weight class. He was the lightest wrestler on the whole co-op team to place at the tournament.

Senior Tavius Sanders placed third in the 162 weight class. He came out with the narrow victory in the third-place match to achieve the top-3 placing.

“It was a great experience, now it’s time to do the same thing at the sectional tournament,” said Tavius Sanders.

Senior Glenn Winchel took second in the 182 class. He ended up coming up short 28-8 in the first place match to place second.

At the conference meet, Beasley placed first in his weight class, which was a big contribution to the team placing on the top half.

In addition to Beasley, BHS Wrestlers that placed in their respective classes included Winchel placing third; Sanders, and sophomore Jonathon Urbieta fourth, freshman Alejandro Banuelos fifth, and sophomore Josh Pizano 6th.

The next stop for the regional placers is sectionals, which will be on Saturday, Feb. 9 at Barrington.

“I feel good about sectionals. We have a lot of people that qualified and if we do well, we make it to state,” said Winchel.