Swimmers place fourth

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swimmers place fourth

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

The Men’s Swimming and Diving team tied for fourth place at the Freshmen/ Sophomore Conference meet. Sophomores Devon Page, Andrew Kraus, Daniel Golonka, and freshman Anthony Gerone were individual scorers.

Golonka was the Sophomore NIC-10 Champion in the 100 Freestyle and runner up in the 100 Breaststroke.

Golonka said, “The season is going very strong as we wind down to sectionals and hopefully make it to state. I have made great improvements which allowed me to get first in the Fresh/Soph Conference meet and score high places in relays with my teammates. Being a champion in an event is something I never thought I would achieve.”

The boys swimming team finished fourth at the Mary Landa Invite on Jan. 26, five points behind second place.

Head Coach Mr. David Graffy said, “We finished 6-2 in the Conference this season and we are looking to make a strong finish at the Varsity Conference and Sectional meets in the next few weekends.”

The Belvidere Co-op also swam in the Freshmen/JV Conference meet on Jan. 25. The freshmen placed fourth, while the JV boys finished in second place. The team beat Freeport 105-78 on Jan. 24. Golonka finished first place in the 100 free.

Gerone said, “I think that it went really well, personally, I’m done for the season, but I think there’s a lot of potentials for varsity to go to sectionals.”

The boys’ next meet is the NIC-10 Varsity Conference meet on Feb. 9.