Boys wrestling prepares to finish season strong

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lexi Keating, Staff Writer

The 2018-2019 season for the boys wrestling team is very different compared to past years.

This year is the very first season that both Belvidere and Belvidere North decided to join together to make one team, and so far it’s been successful.

The boys have an 11-8 record at the varsity level so far as a team and many winning records for individuals, senior Glenn Winchel with a 29-7 record,  junior, Presley Beasley 27-4, and junior Jonathan Urbieta with a 12-12 record. 

Coach Dan McNames said “so far this season has been going very good, combining schools has been very successful”

The boys J.V. team has also been doing very well, they took first place in the Jan Jamison Wrestling Invitational.

The team was led by champions Kamryn labeau, Jonathan Urbieta and Jacob Bell. other individual place winners were also Alejandro Banuelos and Joshue Pizano second place, Tanny Vongsouvanh fourth, and Victor Gomez fifth.

Winchel said, “I’m very happy with how my season is going so far, and I’m really hoping to make it to sectionals again.” Winchel has been varsity captain for two years now.

Junior Presley Beasley said, “As a team, we have our good and bad days,  but the good outweighs the bad, the team is looking great and we are hoping for a conference title.”

The varsity team has their end of the season conference tournament Saturday, Jan. 26 at East high school.