Lady Bucs knocking down the competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Bucs knocking down the competition

Brad Garvey, Staff Writer

The Lady Bucs bowling team had the Holiday Invite on Dec. 15 at Mardi Gras Lanes. The overall team placed second with a total of 5,276. Senior Elyce Turnipseed placed 13 and had a total score of 1,086.  Senior Hannah Whidby placed 16 and had a total score of 1,073. Senior Christina Simon placed 20 and had a total score of 1,064.

The girls dropped a loss at Harlem on Dec. 18. Simon led the way with a 649 series, followed by Sherman with a 647 series, Whidby with a 608 series. Turnipseed added a 562 series. Harlem’s Becca Hagerman set a new state record with an 847 series with games of 267, 290, and 290.

The team faced off against Hononegah on Dec. 13. The Ladies won against the Indians 3,330 – 2,888. Simon had the highest score with it overall 655.

The girls had a meet against Auburn on Dec 10. They beat the Knights 2,913- 2,462.  Sherman had a 524 series and Sophomore Danie Heinz had a 525 series.

The girls faced off against the Jefferson J-Hawks on Dec 7 at Forest Hills. The girls won with a score of 3,072 -1,893.

Senior Christina Simon said, “So far this year for bowling has been a lot of fun and I plan to continue it in college.”

The varsity and JV girls’ bowling both swept Belvidere North on Dec. 3 at Cherry Bowl. The varsity topped North 2,977- 2,752. Freshman Milani Olsen led the way with a 559 series. Whidby added a 551 series, including a 215 game. The JV beat North 2,300 -1,773. Junior Hailey Schloskey had a 431 series and Junior Adriana Anderson added a 421 series.

Junior Adriana Anderson said, “I love the sport it has changed my outlook on the future for colleges and different things I want to do in life.”

The team competed at the J-Hawk Invite at Cherry Bowl on Dec. 1 and placed fourth. Sherman led the Lady Bucs with a 573 series and Simon added a 566 series.

The girls JV bowling team finished third out of 16 teams. Olson had a high game with 225 and finished in the top 10 individual high game and high series. Schloskey had a high game of 206 and a series of 479 and finished in the top 10 for both.

Sophomore Victoria Garcia had a high game of 167 with a 469 series. Sophomores Paige Smith and Autumn Przybyla finished out the five Lady Buc bowlers. The teams’ high games included 201,182, and 178.

Sherman said, “Bowling has made a huge impact on my life. I have done it for so long. I love the togetherness I get from my team. Bowling has just always been so exciting for me.”

The girls next tournament is the Harlem Invite on Dec. 22.