Scholastic Bowl wins kickoff

Back to Article
Back to Article

Scholastic Bowl wins kickoff

Mallory Gibbons, Staff Writer

Over the weekend, Belvidere’s Scholastic Bowl team placed in the top 10 out of 48 teams. Senior Nick Larson won third on the all tournament team.

They hosted the Northwestern Illinois Regional History Bowl and the History Bee on Saturday, Dec. 1. The boys finished in the semifinals. Larson placed third in the History Bee.

The team also hosted the David Riley Memorial Kickoff tournament on Saturday, Nov. 17 at BHS. Twelve teams from the area attended the competition.

The Bucs won first place in the tournament with an average of 400 points per game. This average was almost 100 points higher than the next highest scoring team.

Larson said, “We are happy to have won a kickoff tournament two years in a row and are ready to keep achieving at a high level this season.”

Senior Kai Bonsol said he contributed by getting a lot of the math questions correct for the team.

BHS qualified for the National Academic Quiz Tournament in Atlanta, Georgia. This will be their fourth year in a row qualifying under Warner and Tatman.

Coach Mr. Stuart Warner said, “Our team has done exceptionally well for the last 4 years… We have high standards for ourselves and are focusing on increasing technical aspects of our performance, like PPB, or parts per bonus, which affects how teams are ranked.”

The varsity team competed in the Harvard Fall Tournament on Saturday, Dec. 8. Players included Nick Larson, Isaiah Lopez, James Weidow, Kai Bonsol, & Aston Martin. They finished second place in the standard division. Nick Larson also took first in individual points for the standard division.

Freshmen and sophomores will be competing at Auburn on Jan. 12 in the 2019 Knights Challenge. Jan. 16 is the NIC-10 Rounds 16-18 at Guilford.