BHS Students become voters

Aly Myers, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Nov. 6, the primary elections took place all across the United States. Many wake up early in the morning to participate in their duties as Americans to vote. All year long, people watch the news and see many advertisements that help persuade them on who to vote for.

Voting in the elections is a privilege for Americans. Many other countries do not allow their citizens to vote in elections. Even in America before 1920, women were not allowed to vote. This is why it is important for us as Americans to take advantage of our rights.

For some BHS seniors, this was the first election they could participate in. Although not everyone who turned 18 voted in this election, many still did.

One student,  Senior Luke Hendrickson participated in his first voting experience. One thing he thinks is important for all voters is to be informed.

“I think it’s important to research the candidates to see whose policies you agree with, instead of voting for a name you recognize or just blindly follow a party,” said Hendrickson.

For some first time voters, it can be a very intimidating experience. Many go along with their parents, but it’s a whole other experience voting on your own.

BHS senior and first-time voter Brittney Schuth said, “The whole experience was very interesting. I was a little intimidated when I first walked into the voting polls mostly because I was the only person there when I went.”

For those able to vote next year, here is some information on how to register. You need to be able to present two forms of ID. You can register any time at the County Clerks Office, Belvidere City Clerk or the DMV. For more information go to http://www.boonecountyil.org/content/voter-and-election-information

About the Writer
Aly Myers, Staff Writer

Aly Myers is a first year newspaper staff writer. Outside of school she likes to hang out with her boyfriend and her friends. After high school she plans...