Fall sports teams wrap it up

Senior Montana Morris gets ready to serve the volleyball. She went on to have 250 digs on the season.

Ethan Andres, Co-Editor

As we are hitting the beginning of November, fall sports are wrapping up here at Belvidere High School. Some of the sports concluding are football, girls’ volleyball, boys’ soccer, girls’ tennis, boys’ golf, and girl’s co-op golf.

As Belvidere’s football squad came up short to Freeport 47-21 to conclude their season, they finish with a record of 2-7. Despite the losing season, there were positives throughout the season. They defeated Jefferson 14-7 for the big win for their Homecoming game, and they won their final home stand against Guilford 26-24. They improved from their 1-8 campaign from 2017, and senior quarterback Austin Hausen started all nine games this season.

Girls’ volleyball ended their season 5-12 in conference in their first year under Andy Kownacki. Junior Payton Bruneau lead the team in aces with 38, and junior Grace Haug led the team in kills with 86. Senior Montana Morris was the team captain this year and led the team with 250 digs.

“I was a captain three out of four years of high school, but being a captain for varsity was by far the best. Transitioning to a new coach this season was hard on us, but it was a learning experience. It showed me how to be a leader and a captain for my team, getting us signed up for summer league and making t-shirts for all of us.” Morris said.

Boys’ soccer made it all the way to the regional championship, but lost 3-0 to Harvard. Had they have won, it would have been their 2nd regional plack in three years, as they won in 2016. They were 4-5 in conference, and it included them winning their final 3 conference games in a row, against Freeport, Guilford, and Harlem respectively.

Girls’ Tennis made conference and sectional runs. Luzia Hernandez placed 4th at 1st singles in conference, and Freshman Isabeau DeGennero placed 2nd in conference overall. Hernandez and DeGennero both won their first matches in sectionals, but did not win their second ones, which prevented them for making state. The school came in 6th place at sectionals.

“Our sectional ending was a little disappointing for us.  We had originally thought we had a good chance for our singles players on varsity to qualify for state, but both of our players were one match short of qualifying for state.” coach Annalisa Schindler said.

Boys’ golf closed out their season in the regional tournament. Sophomore Jacob Fitch placed highest of all BHS golfers at the tourney, and he narrowly missed sectionals.

“I have improved greatly this season, and the team has shown that they have gotten better tremendously this season,” Fitch said.

Girls’ co-op golf had their highlight of the season against Freeport, with a close victory of 230-235. As the team was small and had zero seniors, the future is bright for them to grow.

“Our girls have already been busy recruiting members for next year’s season, and we are looking forward to having any and all ladies who want to try out, no experience needed,” coach Michaela Binz said.

About the Writer
Ethan Andres, Editor

Ethan loves sports. A junior at BHS, he manages football and baseball at BHS and likes all the Chicago teams except for the Sox. He is Editor in Chief for The Buccaneer and also works for The Belvi and BHS News.