Bowling rolls into the new season

Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

The boys bowling team placed eighth in conference last year. Their overall record last year was 3-0-9. Last years senior Ben Deardorff led the team with an average of 202.

Coach Mr. Marc Felix said, “My goal this year is to place in the top half of conference and to qualify for sectionals as a team.  It’s really exciting to see so many freshmen come tryout for the sport. We’ve struggled in the past years with numbers and this year we have enough for a varsity team, a JV team and a JV 2 team!”

Last year’s key players such as senior Kevin Jenks and juniors Anthony Bychowski, Nathan Tepp, and Greg Suthers will be returning for the 2018-2019 season.

Suthers said, “We have a lot of new people and we can hopefully improve on our last season and win more games.”

The boys have their first match on Nov. 14 against Marengo at Glo-Bowl bowling alley.

The girls bowling team placed third in conference last year, with a record of 7-2. They also qualified for sectionals for the third year in a row.

Last years seniors Hailey Carter, Holley Steelberg, and Hannah Lowery led the team. Steelberg finished in the top 10 in the conference with a per game average of 207. Carter also finished in the top 10, with a per game average of 205.

Seniors Lexy Sherman, Elyce Turnipseed, and Hannah Whidby are returning varsity bowlers. Sherman has been on varsity for all four years, Turnipseed has been on varsity for two years, and Whidby has been on varsity for three years.

Coach Mr. Andy Werhane said, “We can still finish in the top half of the conference and compete with just about anyone, and our returning girls have the right experience and attitude to help us continue to grow and improve.”

The girls have their first preseason tournament on Nov. 23 at Park Lanes at 9 a.m.

About the Writer
Autumn Przybyla, Staff Writer

Autumn is a sophomore at BHS this year. She hopes to be an editor of the newspaper for her senior year. She is a varsity track athlete, with hurdles as her main event. She also plays volleyball in the fall. She loves to watch The Office, That 70’s Show, and Friends.