Bucs beat Jefferson in Homecoming game

Dylan Schohn, Co-Editor

The Belvidere Bucs football team beat Jefferson High School at Funderburg Stadium, on Friday, September 14. The final score of the game was 14-7. This was Belvidere’s first win of the season.

“It felt pretty good getting the win after all the hard work we put in over the summer. Especially when we have low numbers, it’s definitely a good feeling.” said Senior Austin Hausen when asked about the win from Friday night.  

Hausen had 128 passing yards with one touchdown and no interceptions and he also ran in a two point conversion to help get a seven point lead. Senior August Winscher had one reception for 82 yards and a touchdown.

When asked about his game winning touchdown,Winscher said, “It was pretty great, especially since it was my last homecoming game. That play will be a play to remember especially since it made Play of the Week on the news.”

Senior Joe Dewane had 15 rushing attempts for 64 yards with a long of 13 and had one touchdown on the night. Junior Dillion Reidinger had four rushing attempts for 11 yards.

Defensively the Bucs had a great night hold the J-Hawks to only one touchdown and holding them to only a 30 percent  conversion rate on third down. The Bucs also had one interception which fell into the hands of Senior Glenn Winchel. Senior Riley Kitsemble led the team with eight tackles and one assisted.

The  Belvidere Bucs have improved to 1-3 on the season while the J-Hawks drop to 1-3. The Bucs played Auburn High School this past Friday. They couldn’t carry the momentum as they lost 21-41 and they dropped they drop to 1-4 while Auburn improves to 1-4.  Auburn, Jefferson, and Belvidere are now all tired for seventh place in the NIC-10 conference.

The Bucs next game is at Hononegah High School where they hope to ruin their Homecoming by stealing a win against the undefeated Indians on Friday, September 28th.